Stomach Diseases Treatment
All stomach diseases and problems require treatment. Minor stomach problems can be often treated with some home and herbal remedies and with healthy diet but if condition after self-treatment does not improve or worsens is necessary to consult with professional medical practitioner. Symptoms which require immediate medical assistant are:
- sudden severe abdominal pain which is accompanied with vomiting
- difficult swelling
- blood vomiting
- black or bloody stools
- loss of appetite and unexplained weight loss
- recurrent abdominal pain and other problems which might be related to stomach problems (see symptoms of stomach diseases)
Medical treatment of stomach diseases greatly vary from type of the stomach disease and its severity:
- Dyspepsia: medical treatment of dyspepsia usually includes change of diet and lifestyle, while drugs which are usually prescribed are antacids, H2-receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors which neutralize acidity of gastric acid or reduce production of gastric acid
- Heartburn: medical treatment of heartburn usually includes change of one's lifestyle and sometimes medications which neutralize acidity of gastric acid or reduce production of gastric acid - antacids and H2-receptor antagonists.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): treatment of GERD includes antacids, H2-receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors (available only with prescription)
- Peptic ulcer: minor peptic ulcer can be sometimes treated with antacids, but if condition does not improve peptic ulcers are treated with proton pump inhibitors and in rare cases also with surgical repair (if not responding to any other treatment).
- Helicobacter pylori infection: medical treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection includes proton pump inhibitors and two types of antibiotics. Helicobacter pylori infection treatment is especially important in people who have peptic ulcer, gastritis and all with partly removed stomach because of malignant tumor.
- Gastritis: mild gastritis is usually treated with antacids which are available over-the-counter, while severest forms require treatment with proton pump inhibitors. If gastritis is caused by Helicobacter pylori infection are commonly also prescribed medications to eliminate the bacterial infection.
- Stomach cancer: like other cancers, stomach cancer is usually treated with either of three traditional cancer treatment methods - surgical removal, chemotherapy and radiation therapy.